Please be aware of a paid summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Cincinnati – the National Science Foundation-sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site in Sensory Ecology. The program is focused on research at the intersection of neurobiology, behavior, ecology, and evolution, and is directed at understanding how animals sense and respond to their environment at functional and evolutionary levels. Students will join active lab groups for the summer and conduct cutting edge research over a broad spectrum of topics in sensory ecology, including:
- Genomics and development of sensory systems (smell, hearing, vision, etc.)
- Neural mechanisms of sensory system function
- Sensory perception and behavioral influences of the physical environment
- Animal communication
- Behavioral ecology of animal movement and dispersal
An educational program will develop student research and professional skills and prepare them for graduate school or careers.
- ~10 weeks in summer (June 1 - Aug 6, 2021)
- Students will receive a summer stipend plus dorm and meal expenses
- Students will work in labs, interact w/ faculty mentors, post-docs, and grad students
- Weekly group seminars and meetings for students (e.g., career development, responsible research conduct, science communication training)
- Social events for students (e.g., trips to Cincinnati Zoo, Reds baseball)
- Concluding student research “mini-symposium” presentation session.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee to select individuals with similar interests to faculty in the program. Emphasis will be placed on letters of recommendation and student statements, along with academic performance and other indicators of future success. Note: Implementation of the REU program is contingent on UC COVID 19 regulations. Participants must be US Citizens, US Nationals or permanent residents.
The application review will begin March 12, 2021, and will close March 24. Students can apply online at: https://www.artsci.uc.edu/departments/biology/special-programs/reu.html